This article refers to legacy products, components or features. Therefore, the content in this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated. This content does not infer that the product, component or feature is supported, or that the product, component or feature will continue to function as described herein.
K2 4.6.5 (4.12060.1550.0) updates all K2 blackpearl 4.6 installations with the latest product hotfixes, as detailed below. The installer will update K2 4.6 32-bit and 64-bit installations.
There is one installer that will facilitate the following:
- For customers who already have K2 blackpearl 4.6 installed, download and install this update from portal.k2.com.
- For customers who do not have K2 blackpearl installed, download the installer from portal.k2.com.
The following versions of K2 can be upgraded to K2 4.6.5:
- K2 blackpearl 0807 (4.8210.x.690) with KB00690
- K2 blackpearl 4.5 (4.10060.1.x)
- K2 blackpoint 4.5 (4.10060.1.x)
- K2 blackpoint 0902 (4.9040.x.610) with KB000610
||Note: Clients on a version prior to those listed above need to first upgrade to K2 4.5 and then upgrade to K2 4.6.5.
The following issues have been fixed and are contained within this update:
KB001549 – High Priority fixes for K2 4.6.5
KB001343 - Hotfix: The Identity Service execution changed to execute synchronously and asynchronously.
KB001364 – Hotfix: Incorrect SharePoint List or Library name stored in the Link to Item property for SharePoint SmartObjects.
KB001365 – Hotfix: An error occurs when executing a SharePoint SmartObject after renaming the SharePoint List or Library.
KB001368 – Hotfix: An exception occurs when executing a List Method on an Advanced SmartObject.
KB001372– Hotfix: Unable to assign Input Mappings when using a SmartObject based on a SQL Stored Procedure in an event.
KB001373 – Hotfix: The Created Date, Created By and Modified By metadata does not return in SharePoint Wizards.
KB001383 - Hotfix: Change in behavior related to SharePoint generated SmartObjects.
New Features and Enhancements
K2 4.6.5 contains new Features and enhancements to existing features. For more information, download the PDF from the link available on the right hand menu bar.
Important Considerations and Behavioral changes made in the minor K2 4.6 release that you should be aware of:
- Exchange Metadata Service methods are not supported for Exchange Online.
- Changes made to the installer in K2 4.6.5 have altered the Unattended XML structure. Any existing Unattended XML files used to install or upgrade K2 must be regenerated before installing K2 4.6.5.
- There has been a change introduced to the way in which SmartObjects are saved. Read KB001383 - Hotfix: Change in behavior related to SharePoint generated SmartObjects for all the details.
- The table below details the new .NET Framework support in K2. Note that if the K2 environment is downgraded to use .NET 2 certain new features in K2 blackpearl will not function.
||.NET 3.5 Framework SP1
||.NET 4 Framework
||.NET 4.5 Framework
|K2 Setup Manager
|K2 Designer for Visual Studio
|K2 Designer for SharePoint
|K2 for Reporting Services
- In this release existing K2 functionality such as K2 Designer for SharePoint and Worklist can run on SharePoint 2013 provided the site is based on a SharePoint 2010 site template. Once migrated to SharePoint 2013 you will notice that K2 Management is no longer available in Central Administration, but must rather be accessed in K2 Process Portals. At present K2 will not function on a SharePoint 2013 site. Refer to KB001380 – How To: Move from SharePoint Server 2010 to SharePoint Server 2013 in a K2 environment for more details.
- The SmartActions functionality is now available on any mobile device.
- For details on changes made to how K2 and integrates with Microsoft Exchange read KB001385 - Understanding the Exchange Integration changes in K2 4.6.5.
- The K2 Designer for Visual Studio can now function with Microsoft Visual Studio 2012. If you already have the K2 for Visual Studio 2012 1.0 (4.12070.1.0) additional component installed, the K2 4.6.5 installer will upgrade the component and uninstall the K2 for Visual Studio 2012 Setup Manager from the system. If the additional component is not installed at the time of upgrading the K2 Setup Manager must be rerun from the installation folder after the upgrade selecting modify which allows you to select the K2 for Visual Studio 2012 component to install.
- Ensure that you have the correct permissions to run the install or upgrade to avoid installation issues such as upgrading the workstations using a local domain admin which will result in the client not being registered in the database. For the correct installation and upgrade permissions refer to the installation and setup guide.
- Internet Explorer 10 Support was added in K2 4.6.3 release. For further details Refer to KB001327 - For K2 Workspace and K2 Process Portal to load correctly on Internet Explorer 10, compatibility mode is required.
- The Setup Manager's screens changed in appearance in the K2 4.6.3 release, but the functionality remains exactly the same.
- Read KB001280 to understand the changes made to the documentation in K2 4.6.
- On a clean install of K2 4.6 the shortcut icons will not be installed on the desktop, however on upgrades the icons will remain on the Desktop.
- The K2HostServer.config name has been changed to K2HostServer.exe.config. The following will occur at installation:
The original K2HostServer.config file is backed up to [INSTALLDIR]\Setup\Configuration\Backup\[DATE] folder
During upgrade the K2HostServer.exe.config is added and the existing settings are preserved.
Only the K2HostServer.exe.config will be available in the [INSTALLDIR]\K2 blackpearl/ blackpoint\Host Server\Bin
- Repairing the Database Rebuild Indexing task in the Analysis tool will stop the K2 blackpearl/blackpoint service. If you choose to close the wizard while the task executes in the background the service will need to be manually started after the Agent Jobs complete. If you keep the Analysis tool open the task will start the service again automatically as soon as the jobs complete.
- In K2 4.6 the database name has changed from K2HostServer to K2.
K2 4.6 Clean installation
The default database name will be K2.
K2 4.6 Upgrade
The installer will identify the previous K2 database name and will populate the installer screen with the previous name.
The Known Issues for K2 4.6.5 (4.12060.1550.0) can be downloaded from the link available on the right hand menu bar. Also see KB001393 - Known Issue: Unable to drag a field from the context browser into a textbox in a custom SmartWizard.
This update includes the hotfixes included in previous K2 4.6 Updates, so there is no need to install the updates listed below. The following links are provided for reference to view the enhancements and resolved issues contained within the previous updates:
KB001540 - Update K2 4.6.4 (4.12060.1540.0)
KB001530 - Update K2 4.6.3 (4.12060.1530.0)
KB001520 - Update K2 4.6.2 (4.12060.1520.0)
KB001500 - Update K2 4.6.1(4.12060.1500.0)
K2 4.6.5 (4.12060.1550.0) is available as an independent installation package. The installer handles 32-bit and 64-bit installations. Refer to the K2 4.6.5 documentation available in the installation package for detailed installation instructions.
The K2 4.6.5 Setup Manager is available as an independent installation package that can be found at the following locations: For K2 blackpearl 4.6.5 https://portal.k2.com/downloads/bp/default.aspx
||Important: From K2 4.6 onwards there will only be one installer. The installer caters for a clean full install as well as an upgrade from a previous K2 version. The installer detects that K2 is installed and will guide you through the upgrade. The installer always contains the latest update.
The K2 4.6.5 installation package must be installed by running the K2 Setup Manager (K2Setup.exe) found within the package.
||Note: This installation package should be installed on all machines that have K2 components installed. There is only one K2 Setup Manager.exe to run for clean installs and upgrades. The installer will detect if there is a previous K2 version installed and will run the upgrade.
To install this package on an environment that already has K2 4.6 installed, follow the steps below:
- Ensure that you have the correct permissions to run the install or upgrade to avoid installation issues such as upgrading the workstations using a local domain admin will result in the client not being registered in the database. For the correct installation and upgrade permissions refer to the installation and setup guide.
- K2 Maintenance Screen The K2 Maintenance Screen presents the options to Upgrade the environment using the previously configured system values or to provide new values. The option to remove K2 is also available. Select the Upgrade option and check the Use previously configured values check box. Click Next to continue.
- Version Check The Checking for Latest Version Screen presents the K2 4.6.5 version to be installed and connects to the K2 Portal to determine what the most recent Update version available is.
- Upgrade Summary The Upgrade Summary screen lists the current installed K2 Components and shows what the component will be upgraded to. Click Next to continue.
- HostServer Databases On the HostServer Database screen the name of the current K2 server will be displayed. You may test the connection or configure Authentication. Click Next to continue.
- SQL Reporting Services Configuration On this screen you can enable and configure SQL reporting by adding the Web Service URL or testing any existing URL. Click Next to continue.
- CRM Configuration If CRM integration is required select the check box, provide the Server URL and Organization. Click Next to continue.
- Configuration Summary The summary screen lists the information that you have entered in the Setup Manager. Be sure to scroll through the information and make sure everything is accurate. Once you have reviewed the information click Next.
- Additional Actions The Additional Actions screen shows any necessary steps that need to be completed before the upgrade can proceed. The actions can be performed automatically by the Setup Manager or by or manually. Click Next for the actions to be performed and for the upgrade to continue.
- Installing The Installing screen will upgrade the environment. The progress bar will show the status of each component as well as the total progress. This may take a few minutes.
- Configuration Status The Setup Manager will now apply your settings to all of the K2 components. The progress bar will show the status of each component as well as the total progress.
- Configuration Analysis The Configuration Analysis Tool will detect if there are any errors. Automatically repair the errors by clicking on Repair All. Once all the errors have been resolved, click Next to continue.
- Finished Once the upgrade has completed installing, the wizard will show you the finished screen. A link to the log file that is created is available on this screen. Click Finish to close the installer.
- K2 for SharePoint Configuration Wizard After the K2 Setup Manager finishes, the K2 for SharePoint Configuration wizard will run and must be allowed to complete to fully update the K2 Features in SharePoint with any changes.
||Note: If the K2 for SharePoint Configuration wizard is not run, the update will not be installed properly and your K2 installation will not function correctly.