This article has been archived, and/or refers to legacy products, components or features. The content in this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated. Archived content is provided for reference purposes only. This content does not infer that the product, component or feature is supported, or that the product, component or feature will continue to function as described herein.
The “K2 blackpearl Core” training course is designed to give participants the fundamental knowledge required to work with the K2 platform, and covers the core components, functionality and use of the K2 blackpearl platform. This course is the foundation for all specialized competencies offered by K2, and should be completed before branching into a specialized competency.
Who should take this course
This training course is intended for those who need to work with the K2 platform, including:
- Citizen developers (no-code application builders)
- Developers who will code against the K2 platform
- System administrators and infrastructure specialists
- Project managers
- Business analysts
- Solution architects
- Support (helpdesk) staff
- SharePoint Site owners
After completing the “K2 blackpearl Core” training content, participants may move on to other learning courses (such as K2 smartforms builder or K2 extensions) based on their role or the organization’s intended use of the K2 platform.
What you’ll learn
During this course, participants will learn:
- How and why the K2 platform is used by organizations
- The core components of K2 blackpearl and how they are used to implement business applications
- How to build K2 applications featuring SmartObjects, SmartForms and Workflows with the browser-based K2 Designer tool
- What K2 SmartObjects are, how to create K2 SmartObjects using K2 tools and how to use SmartObjects in workflows and user interfaces
- How to report on K2 workflows with standard reports and custom reporting tools
- How to administer a K2 environment
- How to build more advanced workflows and SmartObjects with K2 Studio
- How to integrate with other systems with SmartObjects
The course content is provided as a web site and is available from the following location: http://k2.com/training/bp1. This site contains the learning topics, videos and hands-on exercise guides.
If necessary, you can download PDF versions of the training course guide for reference or printing out. We provide separate PDF files for the student handbooks (think of these as the slide handouts) and the exercise guides (think of these as the step-by-step instructions for completing the hands-on exercises). Links to download these files are also provided in the Course Overview.
This course will take approximately 20 hours to complete (excluding breaks and depending on the additional exercises selected), and consists of five Learning Modules:
100.ABZ - Introduction to K2
The 100.ABZ: Introduction to K2 training module is a high-level introduction to K2 and covers the following:
- Explains how and why K2 is used by enterprises
- Overview of the K2 platform components and products
- Explains the core elements of K2 applications (Data, Forms, Workflows, Reports)
- Describes the tools used to Build, Deploy, Use, Report and Administer applications in K2
This is a very high-level introduction and overview of K2, and there are no practical hands-on exercises or demos in this module. However, we will be describing some core components and uses of the K2 platform that help to set the scene for the next series of learning modules in this course.
100.BHX - Introduction to K2 Applications with K2 Designer
The 100.BHX: Introduction to K2 Applications with K2 Designer training module explains how to build K2 applications in terms of Data, Forms and Workflows. In this module, we will use K2 Designer to build an application with Data (SmartObjects), Forms (SmartForms) and Workflow. This module covers the following concepts:
- Using K2 Designer to build simple applications
- How Data, Forms, and Workflows are used to build an application
- Integrating with external systems with SmartObjects
- Integrating with external systems with Workflow wizards
- Using SmartObjects in Forms and Workflows
- Workflow concepts: escalations, task slots, workflow patterns
Although this module focuses on the web-based K2 Designer which may or may not be used by all organizations, we will be explaining some fundamental concepts about the elements that make up an application, and the knowledge gained in this module will set the scene for other leaning modules that delve further into Workflow and SmartObjects. Therefore, even if you do not intend to use K2 Designer in your organization, we recommend that you complete this learning module to build up your initial knowledge of K2 applications.
100.CWL - Reporting in K2
The 100.CWL: Reporting in K2 training module explains how to use the available standard and custom reporting in K2 to report on workflows. This module covers the following concepts:
- The standard reports that are available in K2 and where you find and run those reports
- Using the K2 View Flow report
- Creating custom reports in K2 Workspace and K2 smartforms
- Creating custom reports with other third-party reporting tools
100.DND - Basic K2 Administration
The 100.DND: Basic K2 Administration training module is focused on common, day-to-day administration tasks in K2. This module covers the following concepts:
- The available interfaces used to administer a K2 environment
- Packaging and deploying K2 applications
- Typical workflow administration tasks in K2 like managing workflows and worklists
- Other common administrative tasks like managing Service Instances and permissions
100.EDI - Building Workflows and SmartObjects with K2 Studio
The 100.EDI: Building Workflows and SmartObjects with K2 Studio training module is focused on using K2 Studio to build more advanced workflows and more advanced SmartObjects. This module assumes that you have some basic knowledge of K2, such as having completed the 100ABZ: Introduction to K2 and 100BHX: Introduction to K2 Applications with K2 Designer learning modules. This module covers the following concepts:
- Working with K2 Studio
- Building basic workflows in K2 Studio
- How to implement advanced workflow concepts like conditional outcomes, parallel paths, loops and escalations
- A deeper look at SmartObject architecture and authentication
- Building SmartObjects that integrate with other systems and building composite SmartObjects that combine data from different systems
- Some recommended design patterns and practices when building K2 applications
Many of the design concepts and user interfaces described in this learning module apply equally to K2 for Visual Studio. Some of the advanced workflow and SmartObjects concepts also apply to the browser-based K2 Designer tool.