This article refers to legacy products, components or features. Therefore, the content in this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated. This content does not infer that the product, component or feature is supported, or that the product, component or feature will continue to function as described herein.
Using the SharePoint System (AppPool) account with a K2 SharePoint Integrated Process is not recommended in K2 blackpearl. This includes SharePoint Integrated Processes designed with K2 Web Designer for SharePoint, K2 Designer for Visual Studio, and K2 for Visio.
Using the SharePoint\System Account
When a SharePoint Workflow Integrated process is started from the SharePoint site while the user is logged in using the SharePoint\System account, the K2 Server will be unable to resolve the User. An error occurs because the SharePoint\System account is not an Active Directory account type. The process will show as completed within the SharePoint site and the error will state that the user was unknown.
||Important: These steps are provided to demonstrate the problems that may result from using the SharePoint System (AppPool) account.
The K2 developer performs the following steps:
- Logs onto the SharePoint site as the System account
- Navigates to the K2 Web Designer
- Creates a process that has "Start process when item is created" enabled
- Deploys the process
- Creates a new document in the MOSS library while logged in using the SharePoint System account (i.e. Starts the Process as SharePoint\System)
- The process will show as complete but will have an error shown in the event viewer
The local machine has the following items installed:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1
- K2 blackpearl SP1
The following error message relates to this KB Article:
- The workflow will complete with an error
The use of the SharePoint System (AppPool) account is not recommended. Do not attempt to start a K2 SharePoint Integrated workflow when logged in with the SharePoint\System account