This article refers to legacy products, components or features. Therefore, the content in this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated. This content does not infer that the product, component or feature is supported, or that the product, component or feature will continue to function as described herein.
An Object Reference error may occur after using the Process Management Error Repair tool on a process that has escalations configured for activities within the process. Once the Error Repair tool has moved the process instance in error onto a new version of the process, the activity escalations in the process instance and the new process definition do not match.
Error Scenario Steps
|Note: The steps below describe one scenario under which this error may occur. They are simplified and not all steps are shown or described.|
- Open K2 Designer for Visual Studio
- Create a new process with one server event and one client event
- Configure the process to go into 'errorstate' by throwing an error in the server event before the client event
- Add an escalation on the activity
- Deploy the process
- Start a new instance of the process and wait for the error to be thrown
- Now open the process instance in Process Management in K2 Designer for Visual Studio
- Select your process in error and modify it so that the error will no longer be thrown
- Repair your process instance in error with this new version of the process
- Wait for the escalation to fire when the process tries to complete
- It will fail and produce an Object Error message in the K2 Server console
The following error message relate to this issue:
- Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
This Hotfix is contained within the latest K2 blackpearl 0807 Update. Install the update package to resolve the error.
The latest K2 blackpearl 0807 Update is available as an independent installation package which can be found here: https://portal.k2.com/downloads/bp/default.aspx