The K2 Process Guides are designed to help end users create their first process using the K2 Designer for SharePoint or K2 Studio. By following the easy steps, which include short video snippets as well as step by step instructions with screen shots, you can easily build, deploy, and test your first K2 process.
In addition to the built-in Process Guides, you can customize a guide to display your personalized content. This article will walk you through how to accomplish this.
|Important: You can create new guides to include in K2 Studio. For the K2 Designer for SharePoint, you can only modify the content in the existing guides.|
Location of Process Guides
The K2 Process Guides can be found in the program files for the appropriate designer:
- K2 Studio: <drive>:\Program Files\K2 blackpearl\K2Studio\Guides or <drive>:\Program Files\K2 blackpoint\K2Studio\Guides. This is on each desktop that is running K2 Studio.
- K2 Designer for SharePoint: <drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\WebDesigner\Guides. This is on each SharePoint Web Front End (WFE) that is running the K2 Designer for SharePoint.
In these folders, you will see each guide split out into a separate folder.
The various files in the folder determine how the process guide displays. For example, the below image shows the Process Guide tab for the InfoPath process template in K2 Studio, and which files dictate which content on the page:
For example, in the K2 Studio Guides folder, there is a SampleGuide folder. In this folder, you will see the HTML pages that would contain the content for the process guide, an images folder to store any necessary images, and the ribbonGuide.xml file, which controls the navigation for the process guide:
You can use the SampleGuide folder as your starting point for customizing your process guide.
Edit the Content
For your customized process guide, use an HTML editing program to create your content. Create each step as a separate HTML page. The content should be stored in the appropriate folder location as described above. If you want the guide to be displayed in both K2 Studio and the K2 Designer for SharePoint, be sure to copy it into both locations.
|Note: If you are running the K2 Designer for SharePoint on multiple SharePoint Web Front Ends (WFE), be sure to copy the new process guide content onto the appropriate location on each server.|
Edit the Ribbon Guide XML File
The K2 Process Guides display on the ribbon in the K2 designer. The icons, names, and order of the steps are determined by the ribbonGuide.xml file. There are several sections in the XML file to note:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<RibbonContext xmlns="http://www.k2.net/bp/schema/ribbon.xsd" name="Process">
<Group name1="Blank Process Guide">
<Button type="Push" size="350" windowtype="Dock" name1="Step 1" commandid="step1.html" tooltipheader="Step 1" tooltip="Step 1">
<Large resource="images/01PointButton.png" />
<Button type="Push" size="350" windowtype="Dock" name1="Step 2" commandid="step2.html" tooltipheader="Step 2" tooltip="Step 2">
<Large resource="images/02PointButton.png" />
<Button type="Push" size="350" windowtype="Dock" name1="Step 3" commandid="step3.html" tooltipheader="Step 3" tooltip="Step 3">
<Large resource="images/03PointButton.png" />
Each section is used as follows:
- Tab name: The name that is displayed in the tab in the Ribbon
- Group name1: Used to group buttons into different containers in the Ribbon
- Triple: Internally used by the product; each Triple must have a unique name but this is not displayed anywhere. You can have at most three buttons within a triple.
- Button: The item that can be clicked on from the Ribbon. Each button has the following properties:
- size: The width of the process guide pane in pixels
- windowtype: The type of window to display, either dock or window. Dock will display the guide in the right hand pane of the design canvas. Window will replace the whole design canvas with the guide.
- name1: The name of the Button, displayed under the icon
- commandid: The HTML page to load in the content pane when the button is clicked
- tooltipheader: The header of the tooltip to display when hovering over the button
- tooltip: The content of the tooltip to display when hovering over the button
- Large resource: The image file to display as the button icon
These can be seen below:
Once you have edited your ribbonGuide.xml, you will need to reload the K2 designer in order to see the changes.
Edit the Configuration Files for K2 Studio
After you have created the process guide content and edited the ribbonGuide.xml to display the appropriate steps, you next need to tell the K2 designer when to load your process guide. This is done in the following files:
- K2 Studio: K2StudioConfigurationManager.config
- K2 Designer for SharePoint: You can only edit the content for the existing guides; no additional guides can be added.
For K2 Studio, the configuration file looks like the following sample:
<K2StudioConfiguration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
Each section is used as follows:
- Template: The name of the template configured in K2 Studio
- Guides: Which guide(s) to load; corresponds to the folder in the Guides folder
- IntroGuide: The guides to display when K2 Studio is first opened