When executing a K2 SharePoint Workflow Integration process instance the user may need to edit document content. These documents can be accessed for content editing directly via the SharePoint libraries or where the user clicks on the link supplied on the K2 Workflow Task page.
In the case where the SharePoint system is a Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 or WSS, the user may find that they are unable to edit the document due to it opening in Microsoft Office applications as read-only.
This behavior is by Microsoft Office design and one can work around this issue by performing the following steps on all client machines:
1. Locate the registry entry: “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet”.
The version should relate to the Office installation.
2. Right click in the open white space in the window next to the tree view.
3. On the context menu that pops up, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type “OpenDocumentsReadWriteWhileBrowsing” for the name of the DWORD, then press ENTER.
5. Modify the value such that it is of value “1”
When the user next attempts to open the document for edit, they will be able to make amendments to the document that resides in SharePoint and it will be saved to the SharePoint Library.