When configuring an e-mail attachment in K2 that contains Microsoft Office files, attempting to open these attachments from the resulting e-mail might result in an error due to the file attachments being blocked. This can occur with various versions of Microsoft Office.
- Design a K2 workflow.
- Add an e-mail event to the process.
- Configure the e-mail event to include a Microsoft Office file as an attachment, such as a Word, Excel or PowerPoint file.
- Deploy the workflow.
- Start an instance of the workflow.
- Open the e-mail received.
- Open the file attachment.
- One or more errors occur and you cannot open the attachment.
The error messages that might occur will be similar to the following (see images below):
Error when opening a Microsoft Word attachment
Error when opening a Microsoft Excel attachment
Error when opening a Microsoft PowerPoint attachment
There are two possible solutions to work around these errors when opening Microsoft Office file attachments. Option 1 is the longer term solution and prevents these errors from occurring again. Option 2 is a short term solution for the specific attachment that is blocked. Option 2 needs to be repeated every time such an attachment exists in an e-mail. Select one of the following options and follow the instructions:
- To unblock attachments, open the Microsoft Office program associated with the file type that is blocked.
- Open the Trust Center by navigating to File > Options, and then select Trust Center on the left side of the Options dialog.
- Click the Trust Center Setting button.
- Select Protected View on the left side of the Trust Center dialog.
- Unmark the Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments as shown below:
- Click OK, and then OK again, and close the Office application.
- Start a new instance of the K2 Workflow containing the e-mail event.
- Open the Office file attachment from the e-mail.
- Repeat this for each type of Office file that you may receive from the workflow e-mail.
Note: This setting can be modified via group policy.
Once the file type is unblocked you will see a dialog similar to the following when opening the attachments.
- Open the e-mail containing the file attachment.
- Save the file attachment to disk.
- Locate the file attachment and right-click on it.
- Select Properties.
- Unblock the file by selecting the “Unblock” button (see image below).
- The file can now be opened.
||Note: It is recommended that the instructions from Option 1 are followed to ensure that all attachments can be opened in the future.