The K2 Package and Deployment tool allows K2 administrators to move K2 artifacts such as SmartObjects, Views, Forms and Workflows from one environment to another.
K2 Package and Deployment comprises the following features:
- Deployment Packages: Ability to package K2 artifacts such as SmartObjects, SmartObject data, Forms, Views and Workflows from their source environment into a package file stored either locally or on a network drive. This package can be opened in a destination K2 environment such as UAT, staging or production, where some or all of the packaged artifacts can be deployed.
- Artifacts: All artifacts designed using K2 Studio, K2 for Visual Studio, and the K2 Designer may be packaged and deployed (including SmartObjects, Workflows, SmartForms and Views). Supporting artifacts such as categories, roles, service instances, notification events and environment-library fields may also be included in a deployment package wherever they are referenced by a main artifact.
- References: Reference-only objects, such as service types, SmartForms custom themes and controls, are included in the package but their definitions are not. Those must exist on the target server before deployment.
- Support for Service Instances compiled using Oracle, SQL Server, CRM and SharePoint.
- Property variables may be created for artifacts for which environment information is unknown at the time of deployment. Conflict-resolution options are available to easily resolve any subsequent errors which might otherwise prevent deployment of artifacts and/or dependencies to a target environment.
- Automated package deployment has been facilitated through Microsoft PowerShell (Deployments can be set and altered using standard PowerShell configuration settings).
Artifacts which are not supported in this version of the K2 Package and Deployment tool are:
- Artifacts utilizing Workflow Integration (such as SharePoint-based or InfoPath-based processes designed using K2 Studio or K2 Designer for Visual Studio).
- Artifacts designed using the K2 Designer for SharePoint.
- Non-K2 artifacts, such as SharePoint lists and libraries.
- Artifacts designed using the K2 Designer in SmartForms, where any unsupported artifacts in the above list are utilized.
K2 connect Service Instances must exist on the target environment prior to deployment.
SalesForce.com Service Instances must exist on the target environment prior to deployment. You will have to re-bind your packaged Service Instance on the target machine after the package has been deployed.
When packaging and deploying service instances such as Oracle, SQL, SharePoint or CRM, the associated databases, lists and libraries or entities must exist on the target environment and have the same schema before attempting to deploy the package.
If you have been part of the K2 Package and Deployment Beta program, you will be able to upgrade from the Beta 2, Beta 2 TR or Beta 3 releases to K2 Package and Deployment (4.13210.1.0) by running the K2 Package and Deployment Setup Manager and following the upgrade prompts.
Packages which have been created using Beta versions of K2 Package and Deployment are not compatible with this release. Such packages will need to be re-created using the current version of Package and Deployment.
The K2 Package and Deployment Setup Manager can be downloaded from the following location: K2 Package and Deployment (4.13210.1.0) - https://portal.k2.com/downloads/bp/Default.aspx
A list of some of the current known issues that you may encounter when using K2 Package and Deployment (4.13210.1.0) are available at KB001569 - K2 Package and Deployment (4.13210.1.0) Known Issues List.
K2 Package and Deployment (4.13210.1.0) is available as an independent installation package. Refer to the K2 Package and Deployment documentation within the installation package for detailed installation instructions.
The following are prerequisites to installing K2 Package and Deployment (4.13210.1.0):
- K2 blackpearl 4.6.5 or later.
- Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 3.0
- K2 smartforms is an optional requirement. Should SmartForms be installed, SmartForms 1.0.3 or later is required.
- Before installing Package and Deployment (4.13210.1.0), ensure that the same versions of K2 blackpearl (and if installed, K2 smartforms) are installed on the proposed source and target environments.