K2 4.7 introduces new and changed support for integration with Microsoft SharePoint. This article describes changes made by Microsoft, as well as listing options for customers to remain supported with their K2 solutions that integrate with SharePoint.
Microsoft has made several changes to the SharePoint platform, which may impact K2 customers and affect how K2 can integrate with SharePoint 2016. These changes introduced by Microsoft include:
K2's integration with SharePoint versions
K2 integrates with SharePoint using two different methods: SharePoint 2010-based wizards, SmartObject methods and service brokers, and SharePoint 2013-based wizards, SmartObject methods and service brokers.
- Please see the knowledge base article KB001707 – K2 for SharePoint Component Compatibility for technical details on the brokers used to integrate with SharePoint versions.
- K2 for SharePoint 2013 is the only component that will continue to be supported with K2 4.7 and future versions, as per K2's support policies.
- The SharePoint 2013-based integration approach will also work with SharePoint 2016.
- K2 for SharePoint 2010 is no longer supported with code fixes from K2 4.7 onward.
- There is no upgrade path for K2 for SharePoint 2013 in 2010 Mode. Customers that use SharePoint 2010-based integration must rebuild or edit their processes using the SharePoint 2013-based integration.
- You cannot upgrade to K2 4.7 if you have the K2 for SharePoint (MOSS or WSS) component installed. You must first remove the MOSS or WSS component before upgrading.
- New K2 4.7 installations will not include the K2 for SharePoint (MOSS or WSS) or K2 for SharePoint 2010 components.
Options for Current Customers
There are two options recommended for current K2 customers who are using SharePoint 2010:
- Stay on K2 4.6.11. This will keep you with code-fix support for SharePoint 2010 until 15 September 2017. If you are engaging with K2 support frequently and have requested code fixes for SharePoint 2010 integration, this is a valid option.
- You are on a supported version, so you can still contact K2 support and receive code fixes for SharePoint 2010 components.
- You will not get the new features releasing in K2 4.7.
- If you are planning to move to SharePoint 2016 you will need to upgrade to K2 4.7.
- Upgrade to K2 4.7. While SharePoint 2010 is no longer supported with code fixes from K2 4.7 onward (see http://help.k2.com/news/4.7technologies for details), you can continue to run your SharePoint 2010-based processes. If your environment is stable and your processes are running fine, this is a valid option.
- You are on a supported version and get the latest features.
- SharePoint 2016 is supported with K2 4.7, so you can upgrade and then rebuild or edit your SharePoint 2010-based processes after you have upgraded SharePoint.
- Code fix support for SharePoint 2010 is not available with K2 4.7
For additional information on SharePoint integration, use the following links: