This article was created in response to a support issue logged with K2. The content may include typographical errors and may be revised at any time without notice This article is not considered official documentation for K2 software and is provided “as is” with no warranties.
How to install and configure K2 Blackpearl & Oracle 11g or 12g.
Before You Begin
- K2 blackpearl & Smartforms 4.7 (Installer)
- Oracle 11g or 12g (Installer)
- Java SDK (Installer)
- Sqldeveloper (Installer)
- Download and install – jdk-8u45-windows-x64.exe
Take note of the install dir... You will need the JDK folder later.
- Download and extract "OracleXE112_Win64"
- Run setup.exe under "...\OracleXE112_Win64\DISK1"
Take note of the password which is "password" in this example.
- Click Next
- Agree to the Licence Agreement
- Click Next
- Select the location to install Oracle on the Server “C:\oracleexe\”
- Create a password for the Oracle Instance
- A summary of the installation of Oracle Install appears.
This takes between 10 -15 minutes depending on the environment.
- Download and extract the file "sqldeveloper-188.8.131.52.07-no-jre" from:
The driver that is used in Oracle 11g is called JDBC Drivers
Before running the Oracle SQL developer, please verify if the OracleServiceXR service is started and running.
Run sqldeveloper.exe under "...\sqldeveloper-184.108.40.206.07-no-jre\sqldeveloper"
Specify which Java JDK location was installed on your local environment. (Make a note of this when installing Java JDK.)
- When it has completed, the Oracle SQL Developer interface will appear.
When you create a new connection on Oracle, take note:
- The default Connection Name is “XE”
- The default Username is “system”
- The Password created in an earlier step.
To run a new Query:
- Go to the Main Screen and click on the XE instance. (Below is an example.)
- Create a new connection as the SYSTEM user with the password "k2pass" (as above).
Perform the following as the "SYSTEM" user:
- Create the user in Oracle by running this script:
CREATE USER K2_LAB
IDENTIFIED BY password
DEFAULT TABLESPACE USERS
TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP
//----- Grant rights to the K2_LAB user -----
//----- Run these commands one by one -----
GRANT CREATE SESSION TO K2_LAB
GRANT CREATE ANY TABLE TO K2_LAB
GRANT UNLIMITED TABLESPACE TO K2_LAB
GRANT CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW TO K2_LAB
GRANT CREATE PROCEDURE TO K2_LAB
- Create a new “Connection” using “K2_LAB” and “password:”
//----- Create tables
CREATE TABLE K2_LAB.YOURTABLENAME
ID INTEGER NOT NULL,
FirstName VARCHAR2(256 BYTE),
LastName VARCHAR2(256 BYTE),
- Next you need to reconfigure the K2 Blackpearl component.
- Open the SmartObject tester Tool (C:\Program Files (x86)\K2 blackpearl\Bin\SmartObject Service Tester.exe)
- Expand the ServiceObject Explorer and navigate to the Oracle Service instance. Right-click and select Register a new service Instance.
Next you need to add in the Connection String for Oracle:
Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=domain.com)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=XE)));User Id=system;Password=password;
Below is an example of how the Oracle Service Instance is configured - this is just with the Connection String added.
After configuring this, click Next and the service instance will be configured to create SmartObjects from Oracle.
Please note - A service instance refresh is needed if a new table, Store procedure or view is created within Oracle.
A message appears that states: Service instance updated successfully.
Please log a K2 Support Ticket on the K2 Customer Portal for assistance if you experience any issues on the Service instance configuration.