This article was created in response to a support issue logged with K2. The content may include typographical errors and may be revised at any time without notice This article is not considered official documentation for K2 software and is provided "as is" with no warranties.
We need to Package and Deploy a K2 for Visual Studio workflow
to a K2 Five environment that does not have K2 for Visual Studio
, such as a newly spun up K2 Five Environment. New K2 Five installs do not include K2 for Visual Studio. The following steps can be done with K2 Studio
Before You Begin
It is important to understand the setup of your multiple environments. New installs of K2 Five do not have K2 for Visual Studio, and it is only included in the upgrade installation.
There could possibly be a scenario where a Workflow is created in Visual Studio, but the target does not have K2 for Visual Studio. When trying to Package and deploy this solution using the MMC tool, an issue appears that states: "Incompatible Workflow." See below:
The reason for this is that the Target environment does not have the Visual Studio components.
There are 2 options:
1. Create the Target Environment with K2 for Visual Studio. This entails removing K2 Five, installing K2 Blackpearl 4.7 and installing K2 for Visual Studio, then upgrading the environment to K2 Five.
2. Deploy the workflow directly to the K2 Workflow Server for the target environment using the Deploy button from Visual Studio.
Follow the steps in the Documentation below:
- Point the Deployment to the Target Environment's Workflow Server
- Make sure the correct Environment Library/String table is selected
- This will deploy the workflow directly into the K2 Workflow Server and can then be used automatically.
- You may need to update SmartObjects to ensure you are using the correct SmartObjects after deployment.