This article was created in response to a support issue logged with K2. The content may include typographical errors and may be revised at any time without notice This article is not considered official documentation for K2 software and is provided "as is" with no warranties.
blackpearl ONLY client attempting to upgrade to K2 4.7, but they are running into some issues:
During the upgrade the installer freezes showing “Management.kspx: Done! Done!”. From here you cannot proceed with the upgrade, you need to kill the upgrade process and revert the server back to its pre-upgrade state.
From the time that the installer freezes we can see the below mentioned error in the K2 EventViewer and update log file:
Error: "Insufficient license type. Server does not have a SmartForms Designer license."
There should not be a need for a blackpearl only client to provide a Smartforms licence key in order to upgrade K2 from version 4.6.11 to 4.7.
We were unable to replicate this behavior on our internal test environments and because of this we were not able to investigate further and identify a root cause of this issue. However we did manage to provide two workarounds which could be used if faced with this issue again:
- We requested a new SmartForms Evaluation Key from the K2 Portal and added just the key to the client environment via K2 Workspace.
- Restarted K2 Service
- Retried the upgrade and this time it completed successfully
If the upgrade now still freezes on the Package and Deployment steps ("K2 for Sharepoint 2013.krpx: Done! Done!" or "Management.kspx: Done! Done!") then you should follow the steps mentioned in this article to complete the upgrade (https://help.k2.com/support-services/kbt140925)
- Launch the upgrade.exe again.
- Wait until the Sharepoint 2013 kspx package has completed. You will see the message stating done done! where the installer will stay in a stuck state.
- Open the task manager and go into the processes. Locate the Sharepoint 2013 kspx task and end the task from here.
- The upgrade will now continue on to completion.
You will receive errors in the InstallerTrace log files referencing failed Smartforms artifacts but these errors can be safely ignored as you are a blackpearl only client and these errors will not break any blackpearl functionality. Even while receiving these errors you can consider your blackpearl environment successfully upgraded.