This article was created in response to a support issue logged with K2. The content may include typographical errors and may be revised at any time without notice. This article is not considered official documentation for K2 software and is provided "as is" with no warranties.
An expression is used to copy the value from a Text Area to a Data Label.
The Data Label is in the same K2 Designer Layout cell as the Text Area. When a rule is used to hide the Text Area and Show the Data Label, the Data Label is not populated with data.
If the Data Label is in a different K2 Designer Layout cell, it is populated with the correct data.
The issue only appears under the following conditions:
1. The Text Area needs to be above the Data Label in the same K2 Designer Layout Cell.
2. Initially the Text Area is set to visible and the Data Label is hidden.
3. The Text Area Watermark value is configured to be blank.
4. An 'Expression' is used to transfer data from the Text Area to the Data Label.
5. A 'Show a control' Rule is used to set the Text Area to hidden and the Data Label to visible.
In the above example, text entered in the Text Area is transferred to the Data Label using an expression. When the Button is clicked, the Text Box is hidden and the Data Label is shown.
The Data Label should display the text entered in the Text Area, but does not.
The issue has been identified as a potential bug in K2 4.7 and K2 Five. It has been logged with the developers for further investigation and a fix should be included in a future update of K2.
Please see workarounds for this issue below:
1. Place the Data Label above the Text Area in the K2 Designer Cell
2. Add a Watermark to the Text Area e.g. a space character " " that will not be visible to the end user.